Spring Dangers for Dogs
Isn’t spring just the absolute best – the weather’s warming up (but not too much!), the native flowers are incredible and the days are longer! So many excuses to get outside with your pet and just plain have a good time.
But (of course, there’s always a but!) springtime is loaded with hazards for your pets. As soon as the weather turns, our hospital is inundated with a stereotype of spring diseases. If you have a beloved cat or dog, here are some springtime dangers that need to be on your radar.
The first sunny day in Spring is guaranteed to bring us snake bite victims. Snakes are moving out of hibernation, loaded with all that stored up venom. We commonly see both cats and dogs bitten by snakes, dogs usually on the face as they go in for the sniff and cat’s on the foot as they give a curious tap. Victorian snakes are seriously deadly to dogs and cats so it’s important to be vigilant. And let me tell you this, if you think living in an urban environment is any protection – it’s not. Snakes are ubiquitous throughout the state, in the most unlikely places. So get your property cleaned up, and stick to on-leash activity when it’s walk time.
As Mr. Sun comes out to bless us with all of his glorious vitamin D, the green-thumbed amongst us are compelled to get straight in the garden. If you’ve got garden-fever, just like me, you and I are sharing a common enemy, I’m sure. Snails.
As much as we hate snails ruining our garden, do not buy snail bait. Don’t do it. Never. Not even just a little bit. Not even fenced off, or hidden under the sink.
But, I hear you say, ‘this snail bait is labelled as pet safe’ – WRONG! No snail bait is pet safe, not even those that explicitly claim to be. They make your pet extremely sick, and veterinary care is needed to save them from certain death. Please, steer clear.
Blood and bone
Whilst we’re on the topic of garden dangers, fertilisers – as especially tasty ones like blood and bone, only spell danger. Dog’s love the taste of them, but again – give fertiliser a wide-berth. If your dog has known to ingest fertiliser, please contact your closest emergency centre immediately.
This one’s for those curious puperinos out there who can’t keep their little snoot away from danger. Bees are fun – they’re slow, noisey and fluffy. Irresistible to inquisitive dogs who often end up with the worse end of the stick. Bee stings can range from painful swelling to full-blown allergic reactions.
Whilst allergies aren’t something you can avoid, it is something that you can manage, with the help of your family veterinarian. Allergies to grass and pollen are rife this time of the year, and the good news is that your furred family needn’t suffer through it. Team up with your vet to avoid a skin disaster.
Here are some other springtime runners up that didn’t make our list. What do you think, is there anything we missed?
-Ear infections from swimming and baths
-Cat fight wounds from breeding feline neighbours