My dog ate chocolate, what do I do?

Let’s be honest, if you don’t like chocolate, are you even normal? Dog’s share our sweet-tooth, and it’s not uncommon that we see them after indulging. When I eat too much chocolate, it ruins any dreams that I had of a coke-bottle summer body. The only victim here is my pride. When it’s your labrador who finds you hidden Cadbury stash, it’s not such a victimless crime.

Most chocolate contains a few toxins that dogs just don’t handle well at all – caffeine and theobromine. I can already see you rolling your eyes, telling me that your dog has had chocolate before, and was fine. But you tell me, when was the last time your dog had a headache? Just because our pets can’t communicate intangible levels of pain, doesn’t mean that it’s not happening. If the worst your dog gets from eating chocolate is a headache, then that’s incredibly lucky.

Most chocolate contains a few toxins that dogs just don’t handle well at all – caffeine and theobromine.

Chocolate toxicity in dogs can be mild – restlessness and diarrhoea, but this can get much more serious, very quickly. These guys can end up vomiting, sometimes with blood, becoming uncoordinated, and develop a rapid heart rate and seizures. It is very true that chocolate toxicity can be fatal.

So, now that you believe me that dogs can’t have chocolate, let’s have a look at the different kinds of chocolate. Not all chocolate is created equal! A good general guideline is the darker the chocolate, the more toxic to your dog. And then there’s the added bonus of no-no nuts and fruits like macadamias and sultanas.

Not all chocolate is created equal! A good general guideline is the darker the chocolate, the more toxic to your dog.

Look, the bottom line here is, just call me. There a lot of chocolate toxicity calculators out there online, I know that, but hopefully by now you know it can be so complicated. Let me do the heavy thinking. So, if it’s happened, Oscar’s eaten your Toblerone, just bite the bullet and come in. If you’ve seen the cheeky bugger devour it before your very eyes, maybe a good vomit and some tummy support will be enough. If it’s a bit more serious than that, well then the hospital is the best place for him.

Is chocolate toxic to cats? It sure – but they’re usually smart enough to stay away from it!

Are you worried that your dog has eaten chocolate?
We are here 24/7, 365 days. We’re here now, yes, right now. Call us, or just straight down. Click here to find us.

Dr. Vicky Wade

Veterinarian

Book and Appointment (03) 8595 6655